The Investments & Wealth Institute is a professional association, advanced education provider, and certification board for financial advisors, investment consultants, and wealth managers who continuously strive for excellence and hold themselves to the highest ethical standards. The Institute’s mission is to deliver premier investment consulting and wealth management credentials and world-class education.
The values that are fundamental to Institute professionals are as follows:
- Integrity— Institute professionals provide services based upon a foundation composed of the Institute’s mission, values, and ethical principles. Institute professionals embrace honesty by
- being clear and truthful in communications;
- aligning actions with words; and
- taking action to prevent damage to the profession if dishonesty by certificants or members is known or observed.
Institute professionals espouse competence to ensure services are provided skillfully and within areas of expertise by
- possessing sufficient knowledge, skills, abilities, training, and experience for specific roles in investment consulting or wealth management;
- meeting required continuing education and/or pursuing advanced education as necessary for skills appropriate for the specific role(s) that they fulfill;
- understanding and providing services only within the scope of one’s competencies; and
- possibly identifying, referring, or engaging other professionals with specific expertise to serve clients who have needs beyond the scope of their skills and knowledge.
Professional integrity is built by
- periodically evaluating core values and ethical principles, and,
- aligning professional judgment and actions with such core values and ethical principles.
The intended result of integrity is trustworthy behavior and accountability for actions by Institute professionals who ascribe to the Code.
Institute professionals aspire to the notions that
- the needs of clients are their primary concern; and
- members of the profession support high standards of service to clients.
The intended result of loyalty is to demonstrate that clients’ objectives are the fundamental priority when providing investment and private wealth advisory services.
Institute professionals seek to:
- Formulate their analyses and recommendations using a framework that includes fair and objective industry guidelines and standards and professional judgment;
- Communicate clearly historical facts and distinguish such facts from expert or personal opinions in reporting results and/or making recommendations; and
- Report both negative and positive performance in a balanced way.
The intended result of objectivity is greater transparency, accuracy, and reliability of services provided in the client’s best interest.
- Ethical Conduct
Institute professionals should maintain a high level of ethical conduct, and the intended result of ethical behavior is accountability.
By incorporating these values, Institute professionals build trust, exhibit credibility, and foster accountability as they act in the best interest of clients.
The Institute exists to:
- Broaden public understanding of investment consulting and wealth management
- Improve the professionalism of its members through educational and certification programs
- Develop and encourage the practice of high standards of professional conduct
- Promote and protect the interests of the profession and the publics it serves
To further promote the Institute’s leadership role in the investment and wealth management industry, the Institute implemented the GEARS strategic objectives in 2017.
GEARS includes initiatives to Grow, Educate, Add Value, Relevance, and Standards.
- Grow—The Institute will grow the number of CIMA and CPWA certified professionals thereby enhancing the competency and professionalism of advice delivered to the public.
- Educate—The Institute will strengthen its position as the industry's leading provider of education and credentials that address contemporary investment and wealth management challenges.
- Add Value—The Institute delivers premier, quality education with real-world solutions for practitioners.
- Relevance— Institute professionals have access to the most relevant knowledge, insights and tools required to best serve their clients and distinguish their expertise in a global, and highly competitive marketplace.
- Standards – The financial advisory business is enhanced due to the Institute’s commitment to high standards, ethics, and quality. The Institute’s certifications represent international best-practices for personnel certification.