Individuals who are from groups currently underrepresented within the financial advice industry, including, but not limited to the following are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- African American, Black, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, Hispanic, Latin(o/a), People of Color
- Individuals with an ADA disability
- Those who identify under the LGBTQ+ umbrella
- Advisors from small, independent RIA or independent broker-dealer firms who don’t provide tuition reimbursement assistance
- Those who are able to demonstrate financial need
The Foundation’s Scholarship Committee takes several criteria into consideration when reviewing scholarship applications. In addition to the eligibility criteria outlined above, you must be ready to enroll in an Institute-based certification education program (CIMA®, CPWA®, or RMA®) and specify when you intend to start (scholarship funds must be used within six months of award).
The Scholarship Committee will review the entirety of your application to determine eligibility, need, and desire to receive advanced certification. Please ensure your application is thorough and complete, including a thoughtful and complete essay question.
Scholarship amounts vary from $1,000 to $5,000 based on the program to which you’re applying, availability of funds, and eligibility criteria. These decisions are made at the discretion of the Foundation’s Scholarship Committee and based on your eligibility and the quality and completeness of your application.
You are also responsible for paying the remainder of the program costs as scholarships do not cover the full cost of the certification program. Depending on the amount awarded, scholarships can be used for exam and enrollment fees and/or a portion of tuition and certification fees (funds applied toward tuition will vary based on the certification program and education provider selected by the scholarship recipient). Additional costs may apply such as travel, test prep, retake fees, etc.
Yes. Scholarship funds will expire if you do not apply for a certification program within six months.
Yes. If you do not use your award scholarship within six months, you will need to reapply. The Foundation cannot guarantee you will receive the same scholarship amount if you reapply. In limited circumstances, the Scholarship Committee may agree to briefly extend an awarded scholarship’s expiration. Circumstances where an extension might apply include:
- Medical emergencies
- Death of a loved one
- Drastic change in financial circumstances
It typically takes about 15 business days for the Scholarship Committee to review your application.
We have several resources ready to support you.
- Scholarship application support: If you’ve submitted an application and have questions, or are in the process of submitting, contact email@example.com.
- Certification support: If you’d like to talk about the certification program that’s right for you, you should contact our enrollment counselors, Gray Bullard or Kari Estes.
- Program support: If you’re enrolled in a program and have questions, you should contact your candidate support person. For RMA and CPWA, contact Stephanie Confer. For CIMA, contact Ashley Vargas.
- General support: Contact our customer care team at 303-770-3377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The scholarship application is available online.
If you received a scholarship to complete your CPWA or RMA certification, you will receive a promo code use during your certification application process. The promo code will reduce the cost of your certification application. You will receive the promo code when you’re notified of the decision about your scholarship.
If you received a scholarship to complete your CIMA certification, you must (1) create an Institute login if you don’t already have one; (2) complete the CIMA application and, once accepted as a candidate, apply with a registered education provider. Once you’ve enrolled in a registered program, the Investments & Wealth Foundation will reimburse you in the amount of your scholarship. Reimbursement will occur within 30 days of enrollment, provided that we have complete and accurate information for you.
No. Scholarships cannot be used in combination with any other discounts, where available.
Yes! You want to apply for a scholarship when you’re ready to begin working on the certification, but with enough advance notice to let the Scholarship Committee make their decision and notify applicants. While you can apply at any time, the best months to submit your application are January, April, July, and October. Remember, after you have received a scholarship award, you must use the funds within six months.
Funds for scholarships vary based on the program to which you’re applying, the volume of other applicants, satisfaction of the eligibility criteria, and the quality of your application. The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final.