- Before August 1, 2018, candidates may complete their Examination requirement for CIMA certification by passing BOTH a Qualification Examination AND a Certification Examination. See current CIMA Certification process.
- After August 1, 2018, candidates must successfully complete a five hour, 140 multiple choice question comprehensive CIMA Certification Examination at a Pearson VUE testing center .
- Starting June 1, 2018, all registered education providers will teach the revised body of knowledge.
- Candidates entering the CIMA certification process after March 1, 2018 will be encouraged to complete the Four Steps to Certification, as follows: Currently all candidates must pass a 50-question Qualification Exam after acceptance into the program, but prior to attending executive education, and must also pass a 100-question Certification Exam following executive education but prior to certification.
- Candidates and prospects who apply after March 31, 2018 will complete a revised CIMA certification process outlined below:
- Step 1: Admission — Candidates must complete an application for candidacy online.
- A background check will be performed to ensure candidate meets eligibility before incurring education expense.
- The examination fee will be paid in advance, and a membership in the organization will be created (for non-members), and access to the CIMA Candidate Resource Center will be created.
- Step 2: Education – Candidates must successfully complete an executive education requirement through an approved registered education provider.
- Step 3: Examination – Candidates must successfully pass a 140-question, five-hour comprehensive Certification Examination administered at a Pearson VUE testing center.
- Step 4: Certification –The final step in the certification process is completed online by the candidate. This step includes a final background check, ensures that candidates have met all required experience requirements, and that candidates acknowledge and understand ongoing recertification requirements including ethics requirements and CIMA marks usage. Once this procedural step is completed, a two-year certification period commences.
Are you a current CIMA Candidate?
All current candidates in the process, and all prospects considering CIMA certification, should work with Certification Department staff on a recommended timeline for completion of the existing requirements prior to May 31.
The benefit to completing the program under the current guidelines is that all of the current test prep resources, and all education programs available to candidates during the first half of the year address the existing exam structure and content. The image below helps outline your path to earning the CIMA certification by May 31, 2018.
Listen to the Institute's CEO, Sean Walters, provide an overview
Job Analysis Study and how it impacts the CIMA certification.
Still have questions? Send them via our online form.